Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mountain Top Castle





 

(Not clear photo due to morning mist)



One foggy day when my uncle asked me to join him for a ride outside the city... Burgenland, Austria is our destination to look for antiques furniture -- one and a half drive from Vienna. Luckily, I have my camera so, fair enough to indulge myself taking photos on our way. While driving, my uncle told me that the castle(photo above) was his friends' property. His business partners' father inherited from his forefathers. I am amazed with that story because those views I've only seen from the fairytale movies, then with my naked eyes, it's actually existed. This castle basically made from roughed stones, mold and piled on top of the other, fortifications utilized the materials that were available on site. In general, timber was widely used as well as earth. To make a permanent stronghold, the castle had to be constructed of stone. The stone could be quarried locally. If the local area did not have the stone available on-site, the rich lord had to have the stone imported. The roofs of the castle were topped off with either clay tiles, slates or wooden shingles. 

P.S. ---Pardon me but I can't bring back to mind what exactly the name of the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment